CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reflection #6 EDF 2085

Facing a mob of white parents and students shouting the “N” word, a whole town trying to prevent me from entering school grounds, pushing and screaming at my every step. I don’t think I would have been able to be brave enough to face this kind of adversity and unfairness. I tend to feel bad when my feelings are not taken in consideration so it is unimaginable to put myself in the shoes of these kids. The enormous courage it took to stand in front of the school is a characteristic I lack. This proves how unacceptable people are, even though government had approved the integration of schools, African Americans were still prohibited from attending. It all seemed taunting from part of the council of Arkansas, telling colored people that they were allowed in the school system but not really welcomed. What scares me is that this incident didn’t occur hundreds of years ago, it is considerably recent. The most ridiculous part is that 1000 personnel from the armed forces were needed to assure the entrance to school of the Little Rock Nine. How embarrassing for a powerful nation to have to succumb to such drastic measures to control the raging population that was so powerfully working to avoid children from seeking an education. Even with the guards I would have been scared. After seeing the reaction of the public I would have reconsidered my need for schooling, but perhaps these kids were motivated by the belief that this was another obstacle between them and the fight for equal rights. The most commendable and maybe scariest for mw is the thought that the Little Rock Nine remained in school, I can be sure that the discomfort was not just present the first few days, my admiration grows because they were able to stand up against the great majority.

I don’t understand how this country dared to treat individuals this way after seeing how the disassociation of a certain type has always had bad consequences. What positive light came from the holocaust? Why is it that only when many have died for a cause is when the rest is willing to listen and feel compassionate?

0 comments: